Sunday, May 23, 2010

Interview with author Lisa Sanchez!

I took some time to interview Lisa Sanchez, an up-and-coming author whose first paranormal romance novel will be released tomorrow!

1-Eve of Samhain, your debut novel, will be released May 25 by Omnific publishing. What's it about?
Eve Of Samhain is a modern spin on the Irish legend of the Gancanagh, or Love Talker. The Gancanagh is a male faerie, cursed with an orgasmic, yet deadly touch. Sex with this gorgeous, bad boy sends you spiraling into insanity. Yikes!

Quinn, our hero, is weary, jaded and riding out what he believes are his last days when he meets the protagonist, twenty one year old, Ryann Pierce. There’s an immediate physical attraction between the two, but of course love is never easy. Ryann throws Quinn for a loop when she doesn’t automatically fall at his feet like every woman before her. The feisty Ryann is more than a pretty face and a meaningless piece of tail. She’s special, and Quinn finds himself falling for someone for the first time in five hundred years.

2-How long did it take you to write?
The first draft took me four months to write. Not too bad. The editing, the rewrites? Yeah, those took a bit longer, lol.

3-When did you first know you wanted to be a writer?
I’ve been writing since I was a child. My mother used to give me random topics to write about and I’d go to work spinning goofy tales about Superman peanut butter (Do you remember that brand?) among other things. As a freshman in high school I remember reading Gone With The Wind (One of my favorites.) We were given an assignment to write a scene for a sequel. Sort of a “what happened next” type thing. Yeah…my paper was titled Back With Bunyons. I’ve got an odd sense of humor, what can I say?

4-Are there any other novels in the works?
Yes! I’ve actually penned the sequel to Eve Of Samhain. The protagonist in book two is a character you get to know in book one and that’s all I’m gonna say. Don’t want to spoil anything! My goal is to eventually write a book for each of the four friends. You’ve met three of the friends in EOS. Book two introduces you to the fourth and final protagonist.

I’m also polishing a romantic suspense right now that I’m really excited about. The hero is raw, wounded and gritty and I think I’m in love with him. Ha!

5-Who are some of your favorite authors to read?
Finally an easy question! Lol! J.R. Ward is my favorite author right now. The woman has an amazing voice, and the way she can weave a tale with layer after layer just blows my mind. She’s my hero for sure. I also love Diana Gabaldon, Gena Showalter, Charlaine Harris and Sherrilyn Kenyon and Karen Marie Moning (if you haven’t read her Fever series, you’re missing out!)

6-What's your typical writing process like?
Oye! Well I’ve got three daughters, so my schedule is pretty hectic. I usually try to get my writing done in the morning while the girls are in school. There’s too much distraction when they are home for me to concentrate. Afternoons are a wash because by then, I’ve morphed from mother into taxi, and am driving back and forth from tumbling classes and cheer practice.

7-What part of that process would you say is the hardest?
Dealing with rejection. Yep, the “R” word. Doesn’t matter who you are or what you write, we’ve all dealt with rejection. Writing is very subjective. What floats one persons boat leaves a bitter taste in someone else’s mouth. The key is learning how to pick yourself up, brush yourself off, and keep writing.

8-The easiest?
Dialog. I’ve got a house full of cheerleaders and the maturity level of a fifteen year old. Slang is my best friend and it springs forth at regular intervals like Old faithful. Oh, and shmexy times. I seem to be pretty good at writing the smut scenes. Who knew? My friends don’t call me Smut Queen for nothing 

9-What gave you the idea for Eve of Samhain?
I’d entered a short story contest, and the prompt was something like “Girlfriends, Ghouls and Gorgeous Guys.” I’d been reading a lot of vampire fiction (still am) and wanted to try something different. I hit Wikipedia, did a search for mythical creatures and found our sexy boy. Woot!

10-And finally, what are your plans for the eve of your release date?
Hmm…lets see…I’ve set aside two hours where I’ll probably lie in the fetal position, praying people will like my book while simultaneously regretting my gratuitous use of the word “assface.” After that I plan on whooping it up and partying like a rock star. (Sssh…don’t tell anyone, but, I’ll actually be sitting on the bleachers in my daughter’s cheer gym watching her tumbling class and gossiping with the other moms. Real life=boring. Ha!)

Thank you so much Lisa for stopping by and taking time out of your busy schedule to answer some questions! Can't wait to hear rave reviews about this book!



Eve of Samhain can be purchased from Omnific Publishing's website here.

*Interested in getting a SIGNED copy of Eve of Samhain for FREE? It's easy! Today officially marks the start date of my 100 Follower Contest! Read the tab above (where I'm giving away a free SIGNED copy or a Starbucks GiftCard), then drop back down here and leave a comment to be entered! Let's get this party started! *grin

19 comments:

Lydia Kang said...

Hi, I'm a new follower and I came over from Lisa's blog. Great interview! The book sounds wonderful and I'd love to win a copy!

Lisa said...

Great interview! I can't wait to read this book!

Alitriona said...

Really great interview and I'm looking forward to reading the book. The cover and decription of Quinn is enough to already get me drooling.

Kristin Miller said...

Welcome Lisa and Lydia! Thanks for following!

And I think there was another comment that's showing on the main page, but not the comment count...if that was you, would you mind resubmitting the comment? Blogger's having issues. I'd hate for you to miss out on the opportunity of winning this great book!

Kristin Miller said...

Oh, Alitriona, there you are! Crisis averted! *grin

Elisa Dane said...

Thanks again, Kristin, for doing the interview! Mwah!

Emma Taylor said...

Super proud of Lisa...Quinn is one, SIZZLING faerie that will leave you wanting to slap and sex him, all at the same time. Hard to do...but Lisa did a fabulous job of both! Congrats, Lisa!

Virna DePaul said...

This book sounds fabulous as does your romantic suspense. I love a raw, tortured, redeemable hero. Congrats on your release!

Maureencosta76 said...

I'm enjoying the Brotherhood right now, but can't wait to read what you throw at me next! Would love to read this one too! Maureen

DG said...

Quinn sounds so suspenseful and I do love a good cover - gets me excited for the story within! :)

dreamzz12{at}aol{dot}com

MissHavoc said...

thank you so much for this! so excited to read Eve of Samhain! anyway, I also tweeted @CryHavocReviews
so thanks!

misshavoc@hotmail.com

Larissa said...

I'm a new follower. I followed Lisa's tweet. Looks like a fantastic novel!

Congrats on your news, too! :)

lchardesty at yahoo dot com

ParaJunkee said...

Assface. *snicker* Death by orgasm. Hmm...

Anonymous said...

Yum! Snazzy review! Dialogue for me is one of my favorite parts of the writing process.

Kristin, I have linkage for you on my blog. ;]

jeanette8042 said...

Loved the interview and I've heard fabulous things about this book! Awesome followers contest too!

Kristin Miller said...

Thanks ladies! Follower numbers are at 86! Tell your friends about the contest--I'm dying to give away the signed copy of this book! Almost there!

Laura Kaye said...

Yay Lisa! Great interview!

Shy said...

Such an interesting interview! I've read couple of reviews on this book in these couple of days and I've to say that the premise surely sounds really promising!

Anonymous said...

i knew some how id getsome starbucks some how!

chris a