Thursday, April 29, 2010

dreamland

Something amazing happened last night while I was sleeping...

I dreamt of my hero from my WIP. And I was in the story with him!

Now, what you have to understand is, I dream a lot. Almost every night. Some of those are recurring dreams, not anything scary just re-dos down to the last detail. But I haven't yet had a dream about a scene I'm writing, a scene to be written or any characters from my manuscripts.

Until now.

In my dream I was kidnapped (does that word apply when you're no longer a kid? hope so.), and somehow changed into a vampire (this part was skimmed over--you know, like a dream sequence fly-by that just is because it...is). Anyway, my hero (who looked very much the way I envisioned him--dark skull-trim cut, mesmerizing eyes, strong jaw, muscle bound, yummy), was assigned to transport me to my new coven. I had to spend three days in the back of a van, in the dark, with nothing or no one to talk to except him. And being the thoughtful, rule-breaking hero he is, he sneaked me into a movie theatre for a late night showing of something I really wanted to see. It was great. Even though he's brash and strong, dutiful and quick-witted, he wanted to take care of me...went out of his way (and against direct orders) to make sure I felt comfortable with him. Yeah, he's pretty stellar.

When I woke up this morning I had an epiphany. He's real. I've written him so well, gotten into his head so much that he's taken on an identity that's solid enough for me to dream about. It's a wonderful thing.

I wonder if authors often dream of their characters? And I wonder if they dream of them before they're created (giving way to heroic inspiration for their story) or after (cementing their character traits in dreamland)? Care to weigh in?

2 comments:

Aspen Arnthors said...

I had a dream about a character from my WIP the other day. It was a whole scene with her and she, of course, looked exactly like I've imagined her. I was kind of pissed that the dream hadn't given me any plot ideas. I was kind of just spending time hanging out with her. But the whole day after having dreamed about her, I walked around with a strange tingling in my stomach. It was a mixture of the feeling you get after meeting a famous person and spending time with someone you're really into, and are just starting to date. Every time I thought back to the dream I got butterflies and smiled slightly. I probably looked goofy that day but it was like the best day ever.

Kristin Miller said...

Glad to hear I'm not the only one! And if you didn't get any plot ideas, you at least set some personality traits in stone, I bet. Such an exciting feeling! :)