Monday, April 12, 2010

Conflict and Judge Judy

I have heaps of conflict! I don't know where it comes from, but my writing is chuck full of it. I went through my WIP (you can now read details about both my manuscripts in the "snippets" tab above, fyi), and realized that each character is conflicted with another and with themselves about something. Good stuff. I don't know how it happened...I certainly didn't plan each internal/external conflict out on paper before I started. It just ended up that way.

My very first story (which is not included in the "snippets" because I'm not seeking publication for that one) didn't have enough conflict...okay, it had very little which is why I think it's unpublishable in the first place. It's like I went from one extreme to the next. No conflict to toil, toil, boil and bubble.

So then I got to wondering...where did all this conflict come from? After much time watching my favorite shows yesterday (hey, you have to unload your TiVo at some point), I realized the answer was staring me in the face.

This is my TiVo queue:

Spongebob Squarepants: 8
Dora the Explorer: 4
Amazing Race: 1
Survivor: 1
Wedding Crashers: 1
Judge Judy: 22

Wait...

Did you get that? 22 Judge Judy's? Therein lies my conflict.

I watch waaaaay too many of cases of betrayal, broken trust, lies, more lies, degradation, separation, child support frauds, insurance frauds, broken leases, broken relationships, yada, yada. To be honest I don't watch any other television shows as religiously as Judge Judy.


She tells it like it is--gets straight to the point and doesn't fool around. She wades through that conflict like it's easy-breezy Sunday morning.


And I absolutely love it. Honestly, I think my love for the show has more to do with the fact that it works the logic side of my brain for awhile, giving my creative side a break. After hours creating stories of my own it's nice to sit back and think about things in different ways; have stories laid out for me by a master storyteller in a black robe with white doily fringe.

All doily fringe aside, whatever gets me watching Judge Judy is working...yesterday I put my hero and heroine in the stickiest of situations. She realizes she loves him minutes before he reveals he's her sworn enemy. Love. It.

No comments: