Monday, April 5, 2010

30 days of blah-blah-blah

To jog your memory, I went vegetarian for the month of March. I wanted to update daily, talk about my struggles, my victories...but I wanted to finish editing my work-in-progress more. I became so involved in the world I'm building I didn't want to leave. So here's how the month went:

I started strong. Two whole weeks of no sugar, no white flour, no meat of any kind for any reason. Week three I went out to Macaroni Grill and had a dish containing chicken. I tried to pick it out but decided it was too much trouble and ran with it.

Then I got a little weak around week 3. I figured my diet change was for meat only, right? Why was I adding in the no white flour thing for good measure? That was a little extreme. So I started eating white flour again...and heavily smothered garlic-butter bread. (Not the brightest move.) I went to the movies and had the first soda of the month around this time. Who could resist movie theatre popcorn and a big ole drink? Not this girl. But the soda tasted funny--like Dr. Pepper which I detest. I had 3 sips and put it aside. (And wasted like $5 bucks. Ugh.)

As March came to a close, I still hadn't touched any other soda besides my few sips. I hadn't eaten any other meat except the Macaroni Grill that one time...Oh! And clam chowder at the Santa Cruz wharf--twice--but those teeny-tiny bites of clam don't count, do they? Don't tell me they do, I don't wanna hear it.

Overall, to be completely honest with myself, I failed. Miserably. I couldn't last 30 days with no meat. If I were stronger I would've sent the dish back and asked for something else. I should've passed on the clam chowder (but it's so darn good). I don't think I can be too hard on myself, though. I skipped over a lot of logs I'd usually trip over. I passed up birthday cake three times, baby shower desserts, anniversary cake, tri-tip BBQ, rib BBQ, and Texas roadhouse. I think those things are a victory all their own now-a-days.

As for carryover into April...I'm not drinking soda anymore. I've lost 3 pounds this month from eliminating it and I feel better without it. I'm down to my skinny jeans again (Hooray!) I will be eating meat again, but not like I used to. It lugs me down, makes me feel heavy, and I want to be feeling the opposite. I wanna keep these skinny-jeans fitting right y'all! Yesterday excluded, I've learned some about portion control and what being full really feels like, and I'm excited to see where it goes from here!

No comments: