Monday, January 18, 2010

Pick ups and put downs

You'll never guess what happened to me today. Wait for it.

I got hit on.

Now, you have to understand something to get this story...I don't get hit on...like, EVER. Really. I must have a "don't approach me" sign tattooed across my forehead. It doesn't bother me in the slightest, okay maybe my hidden ego takes a little hit, because that's not what I'm looking for. I don't go to clubs or bars to get picked up on...that's not my point.

Anyway, I was at the grocery store today getting essentials to make corned beef and cabbage. (It's cooking right now in a roaster on the stove with carrots and potatoes. It smells so yummy, I can hardly wait till dinner.)

Mind you, I was NOWHERE near the fruit. I was well past the fruit section, onto the delicious veggies.

And this guy came up to me. He was about 30-40 years old, Hispanic, a tad overweight, with a slick grin. I made eye contact. For a second. He said in a thick accent, "Do you know the difference between an organic banana and a banana?"

Seriously?

I thought he was joking so I waited for the punch line. He wasn't joking. And he wasn't holding any bananas for comparison's sake either. I eyed him carefully, on the verge of scowling. Did he really just ask me about "organic bananas"? Could he really mean what I thought he did? No, no...couldn't be.

So I said in my best "duh, are you serious" attitude, "Um, organic bananas are grown without the use of pesticides or chemicals."

He smiled, then walked away mumbling something to himself. At checkout, he checked me out. And smiled again. Now, either I have a sick brain and he's the dumbest guy on the planet, or I just got picked up on in the dirtiest way EVER. I think it's the latter and the more I think about it the more I want to toss the bananas I just bought in the garbage.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

And this pick up line (if you could even call it that) is probably the reason he's 30-40yo and still single!