Thursday, January 14, 2010

Movin' on along

Want an update on the writing process?

I'm still querying my second book Dark Tide Rising. To date I've received 38 rejections and 2 requests. I've been told that with 38 rejections I'm only scraping the tip of the iceberg. Ouch. That icy edge sting a little.

I started writing my third book untitled Monday. As of this afternoon (Thursday) I've written 10,000 words. That's 38 pages in Times New Roman people! And they're GOOD pages. Did I say good? I mean, I think they're the best 38 pages I've ever written. And every day I wake up, hit the keyboard again, anxious to see what's going to happen next in my story. I'm a total pantser, by the way.

At this pace I should be finished with the book by the RWA National Confence in Nashville (in July), where I can meet editors and agents to pitch the hell out of it.

I'm heading to the Fire in Fiction workshop given by renowned agent Donald Maass (of Donald Maass Literary Agency) in a few weeks. I can't wait to meet him again. (I met him last year at RWA National at the bar in the hotel lobby and pitched my book not knowing who he was. I mean, REALLY. Can it get any better than that?) My second manuscript is sitting in his personal email box as we speak. I'm so excited I could scream. I doubt he's going to fulfill my dream by saying "It's perfect! I'll represent you!" I'm not perfect, so my work won't be either. But I'd jump over the moon for a "I think you have potential. Work on 1-2-3 things and come back to me." That'd be pretty spectacular.

All in all, the more I write, the more I want to write. The more I learn about the writing process, the more I want to learn. And the more I think about networking and meeting people in the business, the more I light up and beg for more meetings, workshops, conferences, etc, etc, etc.

I'll keep you posted on the writing process as I go!

No comments: