Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Top Ten Tuesday: Things I'm loving right now while I plow through Book 3 in the Crimson Bay Series

10-How long this freakin' blog post title is. Yowzer. Guess my brain is so fried I can't come up with anything more concise.

9-Ben Harper


8-Devil's Food chocolate cake.


7-Last week of school for my munchkins=no early morning alarms

6-While I've gained 3-5 pounds writing each of my books, this one is different. I'm LOSING weight while writing. No, I don't have one of those treaddesks. I'm writing in the mornings and spinning in the evenings. Seems to be working.

5-Early summer rain. My muse is flowing even though everyone is grumbling about the rain sticking around later than normal.

4-I can't stop thinking about RWA National. It's in New York City at the end of June and I'M GOING. I didn't think I'd be able to make it this year. Finances got a little tight. My daughter's birthday lands smack dab in the middle of the trip. We've resolved those issues--albeit with a lot of mommy guilt. Wanna know what I'm most excited about? Traveling alone. Last year I went with critique partner Lisa Sanchez and had a BLAST. But there's nothing quite like showing up to the airport, checking in, finding a corner to sit and read or write all by your lonesome. Very freeing feeling not knowing anyone. It's like taking yourself on a date--dinner and a movie. LOVE it.

3-Deadliest Catch. It's my all-time favorite show and the season just started.


My obsession over the show is no surprise to those who know me well. I love the ocean. I'm fascinated with ice, ice fields, ice bergs. I love anything and everything revolving around ships. And there's absolutely nothing wrong with adding a little gruff in the form of crabbing alpha males.

2-Finding The First Book Ever Written. Yup. I cleaned out my desk yesterday and found Nine Days in Joliet, the first book I ever wrote. I laughed, combed through it, Ooh'd and Aah'd. I can't believe how far I've come in a few years. No wonder I received rejections from everyone in the business. Sheesh. Needless to say, that manuscript is now lining the burn barrel in our backyard. (I have a thing for burning old work--very liberating. The day of my college graduation I went to the beach with friends, lit a massive bonfire, and tossed in all my notebooks.)

1-I got the cover for Book 1 in the Crimson Bay Series! Can't share it yet, as I'm not sure if the image they shared is the final cover. As soon as I get the go-ahead, I'll post it here. *grin

2 comments:

Aubree said...

my mom is obsessed with deadliest catch but i haven't really seen it.
and oooooooooh can't wait to see the cover!

Kristin Miller said...

It's seriously addicting...everyone I know has their "favorite boat" that they root for each season. (Mine's the Northwestern.)

And I'll show the cover as soon as I can. :)