Thursday, January 27, 2011

Signs are EVERYWHERE

Some signs need no explanation...


*This one's on the way to Arnold, CA. It was rainy. Foggy. Snowy. Windy. Icy. Our four-wheel drive decided to malfunction. (Murphy's Law, anyone?) Have you ever driven up a hill completely sideways, skidding the whole way, looking "forward" through the passenger side window? Sad to say I can mark that off my bucket list.


*

Some signs remind you what you should be doing...

*Ruan is the name of my hero in my work-in-progress. Yes, the truck was my inspiration. I thought Ruan...Ruin...tortured hero...PERFECT! But when you're going through a writing slump, bashing a scene into place (which I was at the time), the last thing you want is to see your main character on every milk truck that passes you by.

*

Some signs give you hope...

*I'm currently on submission with Harper Collins' imprint Avon. I haven't seen an ad for Avon in YEARS. Maybe since the late 1980's. Yet there it was, staring me in the face in the Dairy Queen drive through. A reminder to have hope...that there might be good things to come. I said a prayer, crossed my fingers...and picked up my chocolate chip cookie dough blizzard.

*

Some remind us of a forgotten age...



*This sign is one I found while traipsing through Fort Point in San Francisco. I was researching Immortal, Beloved at the time. This one was bolted to a brick wall on the barracks side of the fort.


*

And there are those that show us what the future holds...



*

Other signs make you read in awe...


*Another Fort Point beauty. I read this one over and over again. I could only dream of writing something so awe-inspiring. It was pinned beneath a window with a view of the center courtyard lightower.


*

Some signs aren't even signs at all. Sometimes the feelings bubbling inside of you are signs. Signs you're on the right path...or the wrong one. I feel happy. Hopeful. Grateful. Appreciative. In my book, those feelings are all signs of good things to come. If I'm a member of this group in any way shape or form, my future is brighter than I ever could've imagined...


*San Francisco Chapter of Romance Writer's of America board. I couldn't ask for a better group of gals to be on this journey with.

3 comments:

Tinna G said...

I agree! There are signs everywhere you just need to open your eyes sometimes to see them!

Kait Ballenger said...

I love that Ruan's name is on the back of a milk truck. Too funny lol.

A. J. Larrieu said...

I'm proud to know you, honey!