Saturday, June 12, 2010

In which I invite you to have a good laugh at my expense...

Ha ha ha ha!...Ha ha!...Ha! Ahem.

That's better. Now that I got that out of my system I can write with more focus.

I've always believed in the motto "laugh at yourself first before others start the trend."

Maybe it's because I've been a colossal klutz for as long as I can remember. Stubbing my toes on door jambs, dropping things, pinching my fingers in hinges, and tripping over my own two feet are common occurrences around my house. And that's okay. I've come to grips with the fact that I'm an AWESOME mulit-tasker and that's why certain things fall apart...you know, like the ability to walk in a straight line or think clearly.

The last part is the inspiration for today's post.

I haven't been thinking clearly lately. I think it's because half my brain is in Humboldt during a massive rain storm, chasing down a killer (edits for Dark Tide Rising) and the other half is in San Francisco shifting into a vampire and searching for a cure to what's tainting their blood supply (edits for Enemy, Beloved). There is simply no room for day-to-day happenings. Case in point: I was invited to a birthday party on June 13th. I read the invitation carefully, checked my schedule, and wrote it in under Princess' t-ball game. In my head, it was clear as day that the party was Saturday, June 13th.

Nope.

The party is TOMORROW--Sunday, June 13th. I drove to the party and back home again in gusty wind warnings with two kids past their nap time. You'd think that would've been a recipe for disaster.

But I laughed almost the whole way home. I mean, really...who does that? Who misreads invitations and shows up a whole day early? I've heard of guests showing up hours early...no one but no one shows up the day before! *big goofy grin

It's just something else to add to my list of things I've done that should've been embarrassing but instead were hilarious! Also on that list is going to a funeral with smudges of chocolate chip on my upper lip (I looked like Hitler and no one told me--classic), and tripping on the stairs in college in front of everyone.

Every had one of those moments? Something really embarrassing that just wasn't because you couldn't stop laughing at yourself? Laughter really is the best medicine, isn't it? Now I'll go to the party tomorrow and laugh along with everyone else.

I'm such a dork and I wouldn't have it any other way. Now I've got to dive back into those chilly Humboldt waters to finish off my first round of edits. I'm almost there!

No comments: