Friday, September 18, 2009

Titanic dreams and unforeseen icebergs

I've been fascinated with the Titanic since I was a little girl. There was something about the disaster, and the inability to stop it from happening, that gripped me. Still does. It's like fate staring you in the face. And I can't help myself from staring back. Many people don't realize the pile of things that contributed to the Titanic's demise, and I'm not about to go over all of them yet.

But, I will tell you that fate works in our lives, whether we believe in the hype or not.

Had the lookout found their lost binoculars, they might have spotted the iceberg that pierced the ships hull in time to avoid the collision. Had the ship been built with a larger rudder, it may have been able to turn quicker, sharper.

Had the Titanic hit the iceberg head on, it would have stayed afloat. The first two watertight compartments would have flooded, leaving the ship wounded. But alive.

So this is how I'm facing my dreams. This is the reason for the blog. I may not be able to see everything lurking on the horizon that's going to stand in my way. I may not have all the tools to make the right choices, the right turns, to get where I need to be. Yet.

But I will have faith in my gut that writing is what I was born to do. I will learn what I need to do to get where I need to be. And I will face adversity head on, trudge into the night, and keep my fingers pounding the keyboard every day.

I will be a published author someday. Watch my Titanic dreams come true.

No comments: